Monday 13 June 2016

You Won’t Believe What I Overheard at Breakfast Today! Or, maybe you will…

Sitting in a local cafe in Bali this morning, gazing past my computer screen and sipping on my green juice, my attention turned to the table next to me, with 5 ladies who had gathered and were chatting. They were all about the same age, dressed in really similar style clothes and even their hair looked the same – all just past the shoulders and straightened.

Makes sense I guess – people like people like themselves at the end of the day, right? Out of
curiosity, and simply because I love people and am fascinated by human behavior, I turned my attention to their conversation.

“Yes, but that’s just the way it is. Yeah, you’re right. Some people are just born into wealthy families. That wasn’t us. Exactly. Yeah, so there’s not much we can do about it. Yeah – I mean, we’re happy with what we have, right? Totally! I wish I didn’t have to go back home to my job, though. Same. Same. Same. Yeah, but that’s just the way it is guys! True.” That was enough for me!!! I couldn’t even handle listening to one second more about it!

Part of me wanted to go over to the table, interrupt their limiting conversation, shake them and let them know that they’d got it so wrong! But I thought, best not to cause a scene, and I asked myself, what was the lesson in that snippet of the conversation that I had overheard and well, invited myself into?

The lesson in my eyes is simple. You ARE your environment. End. Of. Story. I’m sure you’ve heard it before – “You are the sum of the 5 people you hang around with.” But do you truly GET that and how impactful environment really is?

Most people think when we talk about the sum of the 5 people we’re talking financial results and, although that stands true, your environment will impact and shape results through EVERY area of your life!

If you are sick of the results you’re getting (in any area of your life), if you’re not where you want to be in in your life right now, then you need to take a good hard look at who you are spending your time with! A mentor of mine always told me, if you’re the most successful person in your environment, there’s something seriously wrong and you need to get out of that environment, pronto!

Honestly, you don’t see Richard Branson hanging out socially every day with people in an underpaid 9-5 job unless he has to and he’s doing charity work! But seriously – Richard Branson has a core circle of influence that he considers his friends and partners and who he spends his precious time with.

If you want to soar like an eagle, then stop sitting on the ground with the pigeons!!

Now, I’m not saying don’t spend time with people who aren’t at your level of success because there’s a lot to be learned and a huge amount of satisfaction to be gained in lifting others up, but, you do need to have your core circle of influence environment sorted too.

If you don’t have a strong, successful, powerful, core circle of influence, you won’t get from where you are to where you want to be quickly at all.

That’s why I surround myself and seek out the best coaches to work with me because I understand that I need to be working with people every day who have surpassed where I am aiming to be in the future.

So if all of this is hitting home to you, and you’re looking at your current environment and asking HOW REGAN? How do I start changing it? Here’s what I would do.

1. Firstly, get clarity on where you’re at. Take a good hard look at your current environment. Do the people serve you emotionally being around them? Do they lift you up or are you constantly lifting them up?

2. Make a decision. Do you need to work at changing your environment? Slightly or massively to get results?

3. Ask yourself this: Is my environment currently in alignment with my goals / where I am headed / what I want to achieve?

4. Work on getting into new environments. A great way to do this is focusing on networking, building meaningful connections, and meeting new people. Once you have established new relationships, work hard to add value to the relationships and maintain them.

After jotting down the above thoughts onto my laptop, I finished my juice, packed up my laptop and turned my attention back to the conversation at the other table. I couldn’t believe it! They were STILL GOING!!! The SAME THING!! Except something was different. One of the girls had lost interest. She was staring off into space. Bored, or maybe daydreaming.

I suddenly thought, man, if only she knew that she had a CHOICE and she didn’t have to fit into that environment by default. If only she knew that she was destined for greatness IF ONLY she could change her environment. I quickly grabbed a pen and scribbled something down on paper. Without thinking, I picked up my belongings, walked over to the table, caught her eye and handed her my note. She read it, smiled at me and said, “Thank you so much that sounds so cool!!”

I smiled at her and the other girls who were still complaining hadn’t even noticed our interaction. She pocketed the note, she smiled at me and I smiled back and walked out of the cafe.

P.S – Are you wondering what the note said? “Hey there, I don’t know you, but it doesn’t look like you fit in right now. In a good way. I believe that you’re destined for so much more than you even realize right now. If you want a new tribe to hang out with and lift you up, head to ReganHillyer.com and join the Success Hub community. We have a lot of fun, teach each other that we really can have it ALL and play full out in life. I think you’d fit right in. Come play :) xx “



No comments :

Post a Comment