Monday 13 June 2016

STOP Doing So Much! Stop it!!!

I’ll never forget what it was like years ago. Some words to describe my life were: overwhelm, confusion, frustration and exhaustion – without getting started what could be a very long and negative list! BLUR! Blur’s a good word. It’s like every day was a blur and I’d always be left wishing there were more hours in the day and more days in the week because I just couldn’t ever to get done everything that I needed to do!

I remember sitting down one day and thinking, enough is enough. I had big goals and big plans, just like you do right now. But I was so frustrated that things seemed to be moving so slowly, despite me
working a ridiculous amount of hours in my business each week. Which I didn’t mind, to be honest, because I’ve always loved what I was doing. But, what I would have REALLY loved, is bigger, better, faster results, with much more ease. Are you with me?

I had a session with one of my coaches and explained my frustration to him. I remember saying, “Does it really have to be this hard and this full on to get to 7 figures and above and grow a big business?”

What my coach said next has stuck with me from that very day. He said, “Regan. Stop it. You’re doing too much.” “Too much?” I was confused. How could I be doing too much where there was still things left undone at the end of the day and my business wasn’t experiencing the growth I wanted it to…

My coach then went on to say; “This is the trap that many small business owners fall into. They do too much. And that is what separates the 6 figure business owners from the 7 and 8 figure business owners.” “HUH?!” I was officially lost.

How could someone do LESS and achieve so much more? “Richard Branson,” my coach said. “Do you think he’s smart?” “Of course!” I said almost sarcastically.

“He’s not,” said my coach. “WHAT”?” This conversation was getting weirder and weirder…

“He’s not smart and he actually doesn’t know that much. In fact, many 6 figure business owners know SO much more than Branson and are MUCH smarter than him. You see, here lies the secret. He’s smart at one thing. Want to know what it is?” “Yes!” I replied almost too eagerly.

“He’s smart at delegation. And he knows and lives by this: You are only as powerful as the team you have around you.” And then it hit me. Oh. “Who’s your team?” my coach abruptly asked before I’d even managed to get a word in. Silence. “Well…. Um, we’re a team right?” “No.” “You have no team. And there lies your challenge. You are trying to do EVERYTHING. And most of it, you’re not doing very well, to be honest, simply because it’s not your skill set. You need to get better at finding people who can do the things you don’t like doing or the things you aren’t that good at to free up your TIME, as that is your most valuable asset. You need to work at surrounding yourself with the right people.” “Take Branson,” my coach continued on. “Do you think he knows the faintest thing about plane engines and how they work?” “No.” “Well if you were starting an airline company today you’d be designing the bloody plane right now and trust me, it wouldn’t fly!”

The coolest thing from that life changing lesson and that short moment in time for me is, now I have truly freed my time up to do what it is that I love. Running successful businesses, when you delegate and work at inspecting the work you expect doesn’t mean that you go and lie on a beach all day with all of your freed up hours of the week! Well, you can actually, if you like. But that’s not what excites me. What excites me is having the time freedom to create more, to give more and to be more every single day.

Question – if you had total time freedom, created through delegation and a powerful team behind you, what would you do more of every day? I’d love to hear what it is for you, comment below.

And remember,

You really can have it all, now – if you learn to surround yourself with a powerful team…

Regan Hillyer



No comments :

Post a Comment